Sunday, October 05, 2008

we dream an ocean in ohio

I knew it would take more than a sentence to finish up this summer. Montana and I took a hike in the gorge the other day...we sat at the summit for what seemed like hours, letting the sun do its thing, one last time. I'd brought along the ipod (not without guilt - should digitized music even have a place outdoors? I have internal battles over this, and never know the correct approach. When I think about the piece that David James Duncan wrote entitled My One Conversation with Collin Walcott, however, there's no doubt about it), so I ran through this summer's soundtrack - and effectively allowed music to close out the season.

There we have it. Summer is over. I got caught in a rainstorm yesterday, while walking home from the library. An involuntary immersion that forced me to convert. I've been baptized into the winter, and have no choice but to move on.

Katie called one day, from a train station in North Dakota (a man and his granddaughter were playing music in the background) and asked me what I was looking forward to. Good question. I generally make others idealize their surroundings and situations, so perhaps it's time that I do the same. Therefore, I'm looking forward to all the live music that Portland sets forth during the winter. To stormy evenings under the Morrison Street bridge, firewood in the basement, Thanksgiving at our house, sweaters, and hikes in the rain.

Oh - and that economy thing. It crashed the other day. I wandered by my boss's office, to find him with his door closed, tie loosened, head in his hands. (Something to note: percentage wise, Monday's fall doesn't even make the top ten drops in history.) Here's to still being employed tomorrow. Maybe America should get it together and stop spending money it doesn't have.

1 Comments:

At 2:35 PM , Blogger ruthie said...

So what did your summer soundtrack consist of? I'm curious what you're listening to these days.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home