Wednesday, March 14, 2007

revolutionary

I turn twenty-six on Monday. The only thing momentous about being twenty-six is that it means you're no longer twenty five. With the passing of twenty-five comes the following:
1) Apparently (according to Peter - who is qualified to say this because he has taken a lot of psychology classes) your personality continues to develop until age twenty-five. But then, around that time - you are pretty much ingrained in who you are, and the likelihood of any sort of personality shift is rather rare.
2) When I was nine, I asked my dad how old we would be in heaven. He said we would be twenty-five. When asked why, he answered, "Because when you're twenty-five, you're at your peak of beauty and physical strength. "
These thoughts coincided with a late night phone call I received from Laura a few weeks ago. With barely a greeting, she asked "Do you ever feel that you reached the pinnacle of your creativity at some point in the past?"
None of these things are all that edifying to think about. This is as good as it gets, I guess - it's all downhill from here. Obviously, I know this doesn't have to be the case. Plenty of people (such as um….Jesus, for one) really came about in their thirties. Or forties. But I feel like the odds are now working against me rather than with me.
On my twenty-sixth birthday, I'll eat sushi from a conveyor belt with good friends. Surely that must count for something?

3 Comments:

At 1:46 PM , Blogger TQ said...

the whole of peak of creativity thing has been scaring me since I arrived at school. and it's funny that your dad's answer that question has stuck with you all these years. But why worry, my friend, wisdom comes with age. And wisdom is better than beauty.

 
At 10:55 PM , Blogger ruthie said...

i'm in for sushi

 
At 10:56 PM , Blogger ruthie said...

and wisdom is also better than wealth or so says you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home