Saturday, November 29, 2008

please, let's try again

And I was thankful for these friends that drink our mulled wine and help tend the fire so it lasts through the evening. Thankful that Over the Rhine is playing on Monday. Thankful that the Trans-Siberian Railway exists (so I can dream), thankful for this loping brown dog with mournful eyes, thankful for land that provides (the end of November brings evergreen huckleberries and round two of the arugula), thankful for music that reminds me of a place I never even knew.

The shorter days mean that we're well into the reading season. Periodically, the books that I'm reading will collide in one giant ideological explosion (this last happened in 2003 with my simultaneous reading of Blue Like Jazz, A New Kind of Christian, and Ishmael - the result of which was me storming away from the kitchen table one evening in a soapbox-induced huff, leaving my parents baffled as to what they had ever done wrong). This time around, it's still spiritual - but with a heavy dose of agriculture thrown in for good measure (The Art of the Commonplace, Pagan Christianity, and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle). I don't know that I've reached a resolution yet - and resolutions are never fun because they require an amendment of attitude. Whatever it is, it's been a long time coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home