Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Damien Jurado has a disproportionate influence in my life anyway.

I'm afraid that I sometimes ascribe too much worth to music. In recent days, I have found myself feeling that music was the only thing that could have resulted in a change. Maybe if I'd sent him a compilation CD rather than an itunes gift card for Christmas, it would have been different. Maybe he would have listened to the music and remembered that we came from the same red clay, knew the same irrational fear of dogs, and sat on the same rigid church pews. Maybe I would have made him the CD that trumps all others, a CD that would have made it turn out the way that the framed photograph in the hallway suggests. A CD that would have driven it home - both literally and figuratively.

Instead, I picked up a gift card at Safeway during a few frenzied moments over my lunch break one day. My music, his music, what does it matter? Now I'm left wondering…you know, maybe it would have made a difference.

On this interminable afternoon during what is well known as the slowest work week of the year, in my borrowed sweater and well-worn blue jeans, all I desperately want is for 2008 to be over. These songs weren't necessarily written or even discovered in 2008 - but they certainly were vital to it. So, I'll put together the music that has helped me process the year, thank the songs for their presence, and move on.

- gillian welch: annabelle
- great lake swimmers: your rocky spine
- damien jurado: gillian was a horse
- damien jurado: sheets
- damien jurado: go first
- fleet foxes: mykonos
- james yorkston: i awoke
- bon iver: flume
- horsefeathers: heathen's kiss
- beirut: mount wroclai

2009. It will be better, I know it. Even if our days will be written by text message rather than by hand, even if the big story of the year breaks via facebook rather than through a midnight phone call, I know that it will be a better year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home